The holiday season can seem like it’s all about shopping, and it is easy to get overwhelmed with sales flyers, doorbuster deals, free shipping, and online offers, especially from large, nationwide chains. No matter what you need or want to buy, however, if you shop local this holiday season, you will get far more than just your purchase. And every penny you spend benefits many more people than just your family and friends. This year it is especially important to make the effort and help our local businesses as they try and recover.
Why Shopping Local For The Holidays Is Important?
While it is true that an online selection might be larger and possibly less expensive than local stores (depending on shipping costs that can inflate prices), a purchase at a local store is much more than just a purchase. When you shop local, you…
- Support jobs in your community so more employees earn paychecks they can use for their families and friends as well as their own bills and necessities.
- Enjoy higher quality items as well as more personalized customer service.
- This year, as we know, has caused major delays in postal service. When you buy local, you can get the item immediately with no delays for shipping or problems en route. There is nothing worse than your package arriving too late for your holiday plans.
- Develop relationships with business owners that can lead to even better customer service for special deals, unique orders, and personal recommendations.
- Find more unique, one-of-a-kind options that aren’t available to everyone who has internet access or visits a big box retailer.
- You are able to help more local businesses since the business owners you purchase from are more likely to shop local themselves for all their personal and business needs. It creates a great community!
- Local business owners are the ones who support local charities that rely on local donations. This is unlike larger retailers that are more likely to donate to national charities and those donations usually do not help
Unique Places to Shop Local This Holiday Season
Shopping local means more than just visiting big box stores and nationwide chains in your community. True local shopping means trying out one-of-a-kind small businesses and searching for more unique shopping options that can be pleasantly surprising with the wide variety of merchandise, gifts, and services they offer. Great options to investigate for your local holiday shopping include…
- Niche and boutique shops for clothes, crafts, gift items, and many other unique options
- Garden centers and nurseries for holiday plants, outdoor tools, bird feeders, and more
- Art galleries that feature unique work from local artists as well as other art-themed gifts
- Spas and salons for locally crafted soaps, bath bombs, and other indulgent items
- Farms for fresh local produce, honey, and craft items with a rustic, nostalgic touch
- Local craft breweries for all sorts of local handcrafted items and gifts
- Thrift stores for a wide range of items at discount prices that often support charities
- Local bakeries are a great place to pick up gift items and also add something special to your own holiday dining plans.
In addition to local shops for unique gift items, don’t overlook gift cards and gift certificates from local service professionals. If you aren’t sure what gift to buy this holiday season, a gift certificate for a future haircut at a local salon, a massage at a local spa, the next oil change at a local mechanic, or even holiday cleanup from a local cleaning service can be the perfect option. By shopping local, you not only give a gift to the recipient, but you also give a gift to the local business where you purchased it from and also to your community as a whole. And our goal here is to always inspire you to Live Life Local!